Week 4- Putting it back together… slowly…

~hi there!

Drywall!!! yes, week 4 is dominated by drywall installation and finishing. Not much for us to do, this job we completely hired out.

Bobby spent his evenings working on the chicken’s new home. We found a structure on our property, a little roof with 4 legs. He build a 6×6 platform and together, including teenage muscle, we moved the structure onto the platform. He then enclosed it, added 2 $5 windows form the Restore and cut down the door (you know, the one to the bathroom that we ended up enclosing) to size for the new coop. Next came nesting boxes and the finer details for a chicken home.

The only thing left now is an exterior run, but as he’s utilizing part of the existing garden, 2 sides of that are already done as well. I will add a picture once its all done.

Nothing else exciting going on this week, at least not at the house. My nephew was in town, so we took a fun trip to a nearby creek to escape the heat:

IMG_3093 IMG_3069 IMG_3073 IMG_3087 IMG_3097

Advertisements

Week 3- The hero and the clowns

hello again!

Work is coming along nicely at the Finny Farm. Beginning week 3 we were finally able to bring in our electrician. We needed a separate circuit for a dishwasher, which means we got a whole new sub panel, which in turn means we now have a lot more capability for future circuits, etc.
With the ceilings ripped out we also had a blank canvas for lighting options, a big must, due to the house being relatively dark. Of course, we also hit a few minor bumps in the road this week, but hero Steve, our trusted electrician, was able to sort out wiring, clean up circuits, and install 3 way switches, as well as clean up the old 3 way wiring (and No! you absolutely CANNOT use the ground wire as your third “hot” wire… well, you can, but you absolutely should not!) Thank you, hero Steve for catching that and cleaning it up!

This week we also ordered new windows for the house. Snag number 2: the window “deal” ends up almost doubling in price by the time you add low-e argon and exterior wrapping into the price. Ok, we will only do half the windows at this point in time…

We were working hard in the heat (still no AC/insulation) and I felt terrible for the hero, who was stuck all day in our oven. So we decided to bring in the clowns. Of course, we had had no idea they would become the clowns when we hired them, but I want you to know that it is a term we use lovingly. The clowns brought with them a truck, machinery, and a whole lot of spray foam insulation. They failed to mention that hero would not be able to work due to fumes, they also failed to mention the TERRIBLE mess they would make. But by the end of the week we had a nicely insulated house, a running AC, and a mess on our hands that I still shake my head over!

IMG_3057

IMG_3060

 

This is the inside look at our “cave”!

As we are beginning to put our house back together, we do have a tip or two to share:

– recessed Halo cans can be easily screwed to the joists. Don’t bother using the nails that are pre fitted- half of them bend on first impact.

– place your cans far enough away from any ceiling fans in order to avoid strobing!

– connecting cans is easy-peasy. White to white, black to black, ground to ground- with handy dandy clips. Wow! I can be a hero, too?

…until next week

~y

Week 2- More demolition and why we won’t move in within a month

Recap

I realize that we are well within week 5 of our rehab and construction project, but time has been scant and I have felt it difficult to muster up the energy to write after a long night’s work. We have moved on to paint, but that’s really for a later post (look for the official week 5 post in about a year or so- ha!)

Week 2 ended up being a lot more demolition than we thought. We had offered up materials on Facebook and had quite a number of responses, but in the end only one person came to pick up a few pieces, after helping for half a day in the smoldering heat. Because we had tried to preserve the ceiling tile and insulation, tear out took a whole lot longer. Lesson learned: we won’t offer up anything for free on Facebook again.

That’s not the only reason why demo took longer, though. The lovely fake marble vinyl wall in the bathroom ended up only being basically coated cardboard, which did not withstand the powers of Demolition-Bobby and his crow bar. So went the walls… and then the vanities… and then the toilet… So, so very sad (*insert sarcasm here). Which means the main bathroom of the house will get a complete remodel! yeah!

IMG_2963

IMG_2964

(This weird bathroom access no longer exists!)

We have now torn out all the dropped ceiling, most of the trim around the doors, the bathroom, and all the insulation. Finally time for the electrician to come over and work his magic!

Things we have learned in week 2:

– The dumpster size you picked, will most likely end up being too small… we WAY underestimated the amount of debris coming out.

– Having a dumpster delivered prior to beginning demolition would be advisable.

– Ceiling tile plus insulation materials piled in the front yard PLUS heavy rain fall = heavy, messy, and difficult clean up!

– A paid teenager  is a more motivated worker!

– Record heat wave plus no AC make for exponential consumption of water and Powerade.

– Birthdays are for taking the night off from the project.

I wish I had more DIY wisdom to share at this point, but fear not, we will get to the point of putting the house back together eventually!

~Y